Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

V-Day


  This is a sonnet I had to write for English last year. I took the idea from a short story I had recently written. Maybe I'll find the original copy of the story, if I do I'll post it as well. 

V-day


A little boy held out the card, face red.
A young man fiddled with a rose, waiting.
A mother tucked her daughter into bed.
He leaned back against the cold rail, thinking,
love, a thing people expressed with such gifts.
He watched as lights flashed across the dark lake.
As they race across the water, bright like stars,
he knew that all others’ love was too fake.
The town across the shimmering view burned.
Hell’s flames rose, licking up the tall houses.
Some ran and some shouted; his stomach churned.
The firemen command as the hose douses.
He slipped his lighter into his pocket.
Touch returning to his heart shaped locket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment